Here's my version....
Chicken - 1 breast piece
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Olive oil -
Salt - to taste
Garam masala powder - 1tsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Onion - 1 medium
Green chilies - 2 (Adjust according to spice )
Tomato - 1 medium (pureed)
Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom - 3
Cinnamon - one 1' peice
Dry lemon - 1
Fresh coriander leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup
Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
Hard boiled eggs
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker or heavy bottomed pan and saute onions and green chilies till onion are translucent.
2. Add cardamom, dry lemon, cinnamon, bay leaf cloves and star aniseed and saute
3. Add turmeric powder and mix well.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry it.
5. When the oil floats on top add the chicken pieces and mix well.
6. Add red chilly powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder, cumin powder and salt and cook it for 3 - 5 minutes.
7. Add tomato puree and cook until the chicken is done.
8. Take out the chicken pieces from the gravy and fry it butter till both the sides are brown or you can bake it in oven in the broil for 3 - 5 minutes.
9. Cook the soaked basmati rice in the gravy with water and the ratio should be one part of rice to two parts of liquid i.e. gravy + water. The best way is to measure the remaining gravy and add water.
10. Add coriander leaves and cook it. It would take around 1 whistle in a pressure cooker and 8 - 10 minutes in a closed pan.
11. One the rice is cooked, Serve it to a flat plate with fried chicken pieces on top and garnish with coriander leaves,Cashew nut, pine nuts, Hard boiled eggs cut into wedges and lemon slices.
Serve hot with raita or salad.