Cooking time - 1 hour
For cooking rice
Basmati Rice - 250 gms (usually used is the short grained one)
Warm water - to cook the rice
Salt - to taste
For the masala
Chicken - 250 gms
Onion - 3 ( medium) ( thinly sliced)
Tomato - 1 large ( chopped)
Curd - 1/4 cup
Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Ginger paste - 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon - 1 1 inch stick
Cardamom pods - 5 no:s
Cloves - 5 no:s
Dried red chilly - 5-6 ( adjust according to preference)
Red chilly powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 table spoon
1. Soak the rice for 30 minute and cook till the rice is 80% done.
2. Soak the dried red chilies in hot water for about 20 minutes and grind it to a smooth paste.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai and add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and sate for about 30 seconds.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of curd to this and saute for another 30 seconds. This step is very important as it releases the unique flavor of the biryani.
5. Add 1/2 cup of sliced onion and saute till golden brown.
6. Add the garlic paste and saute till the raw smell is gone.
7. Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves and saute.
8. Add the ginger paste and saute till it releases the flavor ( approximately 2 minutes).
9. Now add the chicken pieces and mix well on high heat for about 5 - 6 minutes.
10. Add the remaining onion, red chilly powder and tomato and mix well and allow cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.
11. Add the red chilly paste and mix well.
12. Add the remaining curd and mix well.
13. Add salt. cover the pot and allow to cook till the meat is tender.
14. One the chicken is well cooked. Mix the masala with rice and cook covered on a tawa at low flame for about 10 minutes. You can also bake it in the oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 10 - 12 minutes.
15. Open the lid only after 15 minutes of cooking and fluff the rice.
Serve warm with raita