Serves - 12 pieces
Cooking time - 20 minutes
Semolina / sooji/ Rava - 1 1/2 cups
Butter - 0.5 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1 teaspoon
Eggs - 2
Baking powder - 2 teaspoons
Yoghurt - 75 ml
Almonds - for decorating
For the syrup
Sugar - 450 grams ( approximately 2 cups)
Water - 330 ml ( 1 1/4 cup)
Rose water - 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon (optional)
To make the syrup
1. Mix sugar, lemon juice and water in a pan in medium high heat and bring to boil. stir frequently. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and mix rose water and set aside to cool.
Note : lemon juice is added to cut down the sweetness.
To make the cake
1. Sift together the semolina flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low speed.
3. Beat the eggs to it, one at a time.
4. Add vanilla essence and mix well
5. Add half of the semolina mixture and mix well. Add half of the yogurt and mix, and then repeat with another half of the semolina and again fold with the remaining yoghurt. Mix until smooth.
6. Pour the mixture into a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth out the surface.
7. Use a knife to cut the batter into diamond shapes and place an almond piece on center of each diamond.
8. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 20 - 25 minutes or until the top is golden.
9. Remove from oven and pour the syrup all over the cake evenly and let it soak completely.
Cool before serving