For making pizza dough
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 table spoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Quick rising yeast - 1 1/4 teaspoon
Olive oil - 1 table spoon
Warm water - 1/2 cup
For the filling
Grated cheddar cheese - 1/2 cup
Garlic powder - 1/4 teaspoon
In a bowl, mix the grated cheddar cheese and garlic powder and keep it aside.
For the garlic butter coating
Unsalted butter - 5 tablespoon
Garlic - 4 cloves (minced)
Salt - 1 teaspoon
1. In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, sugar, salt, yeast and add enough warm water and knead it to a soft dough. Cover the dough with olive oil. Let the dough rest for 3 hours.
2. When the dough has doubled in size, cut it in half. Set out a large baking sheet and line it with a baking mat or parchment paper. Take one half of the dough and cut it in half.
3. Working with one piece at a time, flatten into a rough rectangle about 5 inches long 1/2 inch thick.
4.Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into strips of about 1 inch wide by 5 inches long. Cut these strips in half.
5. Take one piece, flatten it and put some cheese garlic mixture, roll and work it into a snake, then tie it in a knot. The dough will be sticky along the cut edges, so dust these with flour before you tie the knot.
6. Set each knot down on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. Remember that the dough will rise, so leave some space between each knot.
7.Once all the knots are tied, paint them with a little olive oil. Loosely cover them with plastic wrap and let them rise again until doubled in size, anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours or so. Toward the end of this rising period, preheat the oven to 400°.
8. Uncover the knots and bake in the oven 12-15 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
9. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pot and cook the garlic gently in it just long enough to take off that raw garlic edge, about 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the salt and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
10. When the knots are done, take out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Paint with the garlic-butter mixture.