The recipe for the Arabian spice mix or Baharat is also mentioned below. Whenever I make this spice mix, I make it in excess and store in a airtight container. This spice can be used in a variety of recipes like grilled chicken etc.
Arabian spice mix ( Baharat)
Black peppercorns - 2 tablespoon
Coriander seeds - 2 tablespoons
Cumin Seed - 2 tablespoons
All spice powder - 1 tablespoon
Cardamom seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cloves - 1/2 teaspoon
Chili powder - 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon sticks - 4 x 3 - inch sticks
Nutmeg powder - 1 teaspoon
Grind all the whole spices in a motar and pestle ( if possible) or a regular mixer will do. Mix the chili powder and nutmeg powder well. Store in an air tight container.
Ingredients for the Chicken Majboos
Chicken Pieces - 500 grams
Arabian spice mix ( Baharat ) - 3 1/2 teaspoon
Dry lemon - 1
Cinnamon - 3 x 1/2 inch pieces
Cardamom - 3-4
Cloves - 4
Tomato - 1 (small) ( chopped)
Onion - 1 ( small ) ( chopped)
Grated Carrots - 1 cup
Green chillies - 1 ( silted)
Garlic - 2 cloves ( minced)
Oil - 2 tablespoon
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
water - 4 cups ( for cooking rice)
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon sticks, cardamom and cloves and fry for a while.
2. Add the chopped onion and fry till translucent.
3. Add the minced garlic and fry till the raw smell is gone.
4. Now add the chopped tomatoes and roast for another 5 - 8 minutes.
5, Add the Arabian spice mix and mix well.
6. Now add the washed chicken pieces and coat the masala well.
7. Add salt and mix
8. Break the dried lemon in half and mix well
9. Add water, cover the pan and cook the chicken till done.
10.Once the chicken is done, remove them to a plate.
11. And add the soaked basmati rice and the slited green chilly in the boiling chicken stock and cook till its done.
12. Meanwhile fry the chicken pieces in a small amount of oil, grated carrots and one teaspoon of Arabian spice mix.
13. Once the rice is done, remove it to a plate, serve the fried chicken along with carrot on top. Garnish with boiled eggs and serve warm.