Chicken Vindaloo is a perfect balance of spicy, tangy and sweet flavors. A hint of sweetness from jaggery and onions and the sourness of vinegar melds with the fiery red chillis and spices to exude a flavor that is drool worthy.
Chicken - 1 kilogram ( washed and chopped into bite size peices)
Onion - 2 big ones ( chopped)
Dried red chilies - 12 - 15 ( adjust according to spice preference)
Garlic - 4 - 6 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Pepper - 4
Cloves - 3
Vinegar - 4 tablespoons
Melted jaggery - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 1 table spoon
Salt - to taste
1. Soak the dried red chilies in the vinegar for 30 minutes.
2. Now grind the dried red chilies along with the vinegar, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic. cinnamon, pepper and cloves with little water.
3. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and the ground paste evenly and let it rest for atleast 4 hours ( Overnight preferred).
4. Grind the chopped onions and add it to the marinated chicken and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add some cinnamon pieces, pepper and cloves. Let it fry for a while.
6. Add the marinated chicken pieces to this and fry for a while.
7. Add the melted jaggery and little water and cook the dish in low flame till the chicken is tender.
Garnish with red peppers and serve warm.
1. The Vindaloo always tastes better the next day as the meat gets properly marinated.
2. The longer you store it the better it tastes just like a pickle.