Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 medium ( chopped finely)
Tomato - 1 medium (chopped finely)
Red chilly powder - 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Green chilies - 2 no:s ( chopped)
Ginger - garlic paste - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil / Ghee - 1 table spoon
Mustard seed - 1 tsp
Dried red chilies - 2
1. Cook the dal with salt in a pressure cooker for 4 -5 whistles or till done. The texture should be smooth.
2. Heat oil/ ghee in a deep bottom pan and saute the onions.
3. Once the onion turn translucent, add the chopped green chilies and ginger - garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell is gone.
4. Add the chopped tomato and roast well.
5. Add the red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder and roast well for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the cooked dal and mix well. Cook till a thick consistency is reached.
7. In another pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. add the dried red chilies to it and saute and pour it over the prepared dal mixture.
Serve warm with jeera rice or roti