This pastry is also known as Dil pasand in some places. I lack words to describe the taste of this particular pastry. It’s like a large round bun stuffed with sweet filling; the pastry or bun is so soft, fluffy and has a spongy texture and the sweet filling makes it taste even more delicious. The sweet filling is mainly of grated coconut, raisinns, tooti fruti and nuts. It’s usually cut into triangular slices, sold as slices or as a whole pastry. This recipe was taken from the site erivumpuliyum and has some tweaks of my own.
Preparation time - 3 hours
Cooking time - 30 minutes
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Warm milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Active dry yeast - 1/2 table spoon
Ghee / oil - 1 tablespoon
Egg - 1
Egg wash - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
For the filling
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Tooti fruti - 1/4 cup
Raisins - 2 tablespoons
Chopped nuts - 1 tablespoon
Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - 2 tablespoon
1. Take the warm milk in a bowl, add sugar and yeast to it, let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In another bowl combine flour and salt and mix well.
3. Add lightly beaten egg and mix well with a fork.
4. Add oil / ghee and mix well.
5. Add the yeast mixture and combine well using your hands. It will be a sticky dough.
6. Knead well for a couple of minutes. Don't add more flour to make a hard dough, the dough should be soft and smooth. Keep aside for 3 hours in a warm place for fermentation to take place.
7. In another bowl combine all the ingredients for the filling and mix well.
8. After 3 hours the flour will be double in size. Divide it to 2 equal portions.
9. On a clean surface, grease with oil and roll one of the dough balls to round size: ½ inch thick. Spread the filling leaving some space in the edges
10. Roll the second portion of the dough as same size as the first and cover over the sweet filling and seal the edges tightly.
11. Prick some holes on the top for the steam to escape.
12. Apply the egg wash generously over the top with a brush.
13. Let it stand for 15 minutes.
14. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and carefully transfer the pastry to that and bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes at 375 degree Fahrenheit.
15. Be sure to check after 20 minutes of baking. Do not over bake the pastry as it turns hard.
16. Once done remove from the oven and let it cool for another 15 minutes.
17. Using a sharp knife cut into triangular slices and serve.
1. This can be stored in air tight containers for 3 - 4 day. Reheat before serving.
2. Egg wash is a mixture made with equal quantities of egg white and water.