Idli rice - 1 1/2 cups
Split Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1 tspn
1. Wash and soak the rice and urad dal separately for atleast 5 -6 hours. (more would be preferable in cold regions)
2. Grind them in a mixer or a stone grinder. Grind the urad dal first and second rice with water. I use a electric mixer, the ground urad dal will be smooth and have bubbles once you switch of the mixer. The rice batter shoul be very smooth. The whole process takes about 30 minutes in my mixer.
3. Mix the ground urad dal and rice batter with salt. allow it to ferment for about 8 - 10 hours in a warm place ( preferably inside a pre heated oven if you are in cold regions)
4. Once the batter is fermented, give it a good stir and pour into greased idli pan and cook it in a idli cooker or pressure cooker without weight or any pan with lid having a vent for steam to escape for 10 - 12 minutes.
1. You can also cook dosas with this batter.
2. You can soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seed with urad dal and grind it together. This will make your dosa crispy.