The Kuska Biryani is very famous and this briyani recipe comes very handy if we don't have vegetables at home or want to make something special yet simple, also makes good for lunch box.
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 medium ( cut into thin slices)
Tomato - 1 medium ( finely chopped)
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Green chilies - 2 ( slit lengthwise)
Red chilly powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk - 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup ( chopped)
Water - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - a small sprig
Bay leaves -2
Cardamon - 2 pods
Oil / Ghee - 2 tablespoon
1. Soak the basmati rice for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker, add oil and add cardamon, curry leaves and bay leaves and saute.
3. Add the onions and green chilies and saute till the onions are slightly brown.
4. Add the ginger paste and garlic paste and fry til the raw smell is gone.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry well till they are mushy.
6. Add the chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
7. Add the red chilly powder and coriander powder and mix well.
8. Add the milk and water and let it come to a rolling boil and then add the soaked rice. The ratio of liquid to rice is 1 1/2 : 1. This ratio varies for different brand of rice. If the rice you are using has a different ratio then increase or decrease the quantity of water accordingly.
9. Cook the rice covered for 10 - 12 minutes or for one whistle in a pressure cooker.
10. Once the steam is released, fluff the rice with a wooden spoon.
Serve warm with pickled onion and green chilies or a plain raita.