All purpose flour/ Maida - 1 1/2 cup
Sugar - 2 tspn
Salt - 1 tspn
Yogurt - 3 tblsp
Warm milk as needed
1. Mix all purpose flour, sugar, salt and yogurt to a smooth dough. If needed add some warm milk and knead to a smooth dough.
2. keep the dough in a closed container in a warm place for 1-2 hrs.
3. The dough will be doubled in size. Divide it into 8 equal parts.
4. Now divide the dough into equal-sized portions. You will get about 8-10 kulchas from this amount of dough. Roll each portion between your palms till it forms a smooth ball. Do this for all the portions. Once you have made the dough balls, each Kulcha can be prepared to cook while the previous one is cooking on the griddle.
5. Heat a griddle on a medium flame.
6. Take one dough ball in your hand and press this ball with your palms and fingers to form a circle or oval. You could also do this on a lightly floured rolling board. Do this till the Kulcha is about 5-6 mm thick.
7. Now place it on the hot griddle and cook till bubbles begin to appear on the upper surface. Now flip the Kulcha and cook the other side till pale brown spots begin to appear on it. Flip again and allow the next side to develop these pale brown spots. The Kulcha will now be ready. Remove from the griddle and either serve hot or keep in a closed container, wrapped in foil till ready to eat.
Serve hot with chole masala or any curry of choice.
1. You can make this more healthier by whole wheat flour for maida, 1 cup of whole wheat flour and half cup of all purpose flour.
2. You can stuff kulcha with mashed and seasoned potato, finely chopped garlic, finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander, cooked minced meat or any other dry-ish filling of your choice!
To make stuffed Kulchas, the filling must be added at the stage when you make the dough balls. To do this, take one portion of ready dough and press it between your palms to make a 4" diameter circle. Now place 1-2 tbsps of the filling in the center of this circle and pinch ends to close and seal. Now very gently roll into a ball and proceed as above to cook.