The Peri Per Chicken is prepared with Peri Peri sauce, Nandoos Peri Peri sauce is the best one available in market. I have used a home made Peri Peri sauce for this recipe. The sauce has to be made a day ahead as to get the best flavor. The dish is normally most enjoyable spicy. But of course you can always adjust the amount of chilli to suit your personal taste.
For the Peri Peri sauce
Red Jalapeno peppers - 4 - 8 ( depending on heat)
Garlic - 3 cloves ( minced)
Lemon juice - juice of 1 lemon
Oregano powder - 1 teaspoon
Soy Sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - a pinch
Olive oil - 1/2 cup
1. Coarsely chop the peppers and discard stems.
2. Place the chilies with seeds, garlic, lemon juice, oregano powder, soy sauce, salt and oil in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Strain the mixture and keep it in a glass jar. The sauce will keep in fridge for about a month.
For Making Peri Peri chicken
Chicken Pieces - 4 - 5 pieces
Salt - to taste
Peri Peri sauce - as needed
Red food coloring - 1 drop ( optional)
1. Pour the Peri Peri sauce, salt, red food coloring ( if using ) into the chicken pieces, make sure it goes into the slits. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
2. When ready to cook, shake the excess marinade off the chicken pieces. First grill the chicken on a bbq/charcoal grill (or under the broiler grill of your oven) for about 5 minutes per side, just to seal the chicken pieces so they stay nice and moist inside, and this gives the chicken that awesome bbq flavour especially if done on a charcoal grill.
3.Then place the chicken quarters on a greased tray, brush some sauce over them and pop it in a pre-heated oven at 170 C and bake for about 10 - 15 minutes (turn them over midway through the baking). Next, reduce the temperature to 120 C and bake for another 8 - 10 minutes. Make sure to brush the chicken with some of the peri peri sauce once more during the baking so they stay moist. Once done, remove and keep the chicken covered to retain moisture.
Serve the grilled chicken with peri peri sauce or any chutney as preferred