All purpose flour- 1 1/4 cup
Butter -1/2 cup ( room temperature)
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Brown Sugar - 1 cup + 3 tablespoon
Raisins-1 cup (black raisin, white raisin, tutti fruti )
Orange rind-4 to 5 pieces chopped finely
Cashew nuts- 1/2 cup (broken into pieces)
Pure vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
For Spice powder
Cinnamon-1 small stick
Dry ginger- a small piece
Nutmeg- a small pinch
Boiling water-1/2 -1 cup (If the raisins are really dry it will absorb more water so add water accordingly)
1. Make a fine powder of all the ingredients mentioned under the spice powder and keep it aside.
2. For caramelizing the sugar : Heat an heavy bottom pan and once the pan is really hot add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Keep the flame low. Do not stir or move the pan. One all the sugar is melted add the boiling water and mix well. Now add all the nuts and raisins along with the orange rind and boil the mixture for 2 - 3 minutes until they are tender. Soak it for at least 30 minutes.
3. Take a large pan and beat butter and the remaining sugar until fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one by one and beat well.
5. Add vanilla essence an mix well.
6. In a separate vessel, mix the all purpose flour, baking power and the spice powder.
7. Now take the soaked nuts aside an dust some all purpose flour. This will keep the raisins separated and they won't go down.
8. If any caramelized water is remaining add to the wet mixture and mix well.
9. Now gradually a the mixed dry ingredients ( flour mixture) and fold well.
10. Add the dusted nuts and raisins and fold well.
11. Pour the batter in a prepared cake dish and bake at 350 Degree Fahrenheit for 40 - 45 minutes or until the toothpick/ skewer comes out clean .
12. Cut the only after its completely cooled.
1. You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar, but brown sugar gives a nice color.