Tuvar dal / arhar dal / pigeon peas - 1 cup
vegetables ( okra, carrot. elephant yam, potato, brinjal, - 1.5 cup ( cleaned and chopped)
Colocasia / Taro / Chembu / Arbi, tomato )
Sambar powder - 2 table spoons ( used Melam sambar powder)
Tamarind/ Imli - 1 tablespoon soaked in half cup of war water
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
curry leaves - 12 - 15
Dried red chillies - 3 - 4
Shallotss \ kunjulli - 8 - 10
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
1. Cook dal with elephant yam, colocasia and salt in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
2. Remove the cooked colocasia and elephant yam and mash the dal well.
3. The add all the remaining vegetables, cooked colocasia and elephant yam to the well ashed dal.
4. Add the sambar powder and cook for one whistle.
5. The add the tamarind water and mix well.
6. Heat coconut oil in a pan, crackle the mustard seed and then add sshallots. curry leaves and dried red chillies and temper.
7. Pour this over the cooked sambar and serve hot with steamed rice, idli or dosa