You don't even need a tandoori oven to cook a tandoori chicken, you can cook it over a grill (stove top) or just in an oven. The key to have a perfect and moist tandoori chicken is to use drumsticks or thighs with legs. Chicken breast won't work as they dry out quickly. I have used skinless pieces but chicken pieces with can be also be used and they will more crispier.
Chicken drumsticks - 4 pieces without skin
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilly powder - 1 tablespoon
Cayenne powder - 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice - 2 tablespoon
Garam masala powder - 1 tablespoon
Ginger - 2 teaspoon ( minced)
Garlic - 3- 4 cloves (minced)
Yoghurt - 1 cup
oil - 3 tablespoon
Salt - to taste
1. Heat the oil in a small pan over medium to low heat, then cook the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, garam masala and red chilly powder, stirring often, until fragrant and cooled completely.
2. Whisk in the cooled spice-oil mixture into the yogurt, then mix in the lemon juice, garlic, salt and ginger.
3. Clean the chicken and cut 2 - 3 deep slits on it.
4. Coat the chicken with marinade and cover and refrigerate for about 6 hours.
5. Preheat the oven at 325 degree Fahrenheit. Lay the marinated chicken in a baking tray covered with foil and bake each side for 35 - 40 minutes i.e first cook the chicken on one side for 35 - 40 minutes and flip the chicken pieces and cook the other side for 35 - 40 minutes again. The chicken is done when its juices run clear.
6. Later broil the chicken for 2 - 3 minutes for a nice brown color on top or you can do this before serving.
7. Let it rest in the oven for 5 minutes before serving.
For cooking in stove top grill
1. Place the grill over the stop in medium - high heat and use tongs to wipe the grill grates with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil.
2. Take the chicken out of the marinade and shake off the excess so that the chicken pieces are well coated but not gloppy.
3. Cover and cook the chicken for 20 - 30 minutes on one side. Keep checking after the 20 minute mark so that they are bot burned. Then flip and cook the other side covered for 20 - 30 minutes. Cook the chicken over high heat to have a charred look.
Serve warm with lemon wedges and mint chutney or s.hallots and chopped chilies in vinegar