Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
Warm Water - 2 cups ( As instructions in the packet)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
For the masala
Carrot - 1/2 cup chopped
French beans - 1/2 cup chopped
Sweet peas - 1/4 cup cooked
Potato -1/4 cup cut into small wedges
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Curd - 1 tblspn
Chilly powder - 2 tspn
Coriander powder - 1/2 tspn
Tumeric powder - a pinch
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tspn
Cumin powder - 1/2 tspn
Mint Leaves - for garnishing
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Oil - 2 tblspn
Salt - to taste
1. Soak the rice for half an hour. This helps to get long strands.
2. Cook the rice in a closed vessel with warm water, salt and oil, till it is fluffy. If using a pressure cooker, add rice , warm water, salt and oil and cook it it for one whistle.
3. Heat oil in a pan, saute the onions. Then add the vegetables one by one except green peas.
4. Cook the thoroughly.
5. Then add chilly powder, coriander powder, tumeric powder and cumin powder and roast well.
6. Then add the green peas and roast well.
7. Add curd and mix well.
8. Now add the garam masala powder and salt and mix well.
9. Garnish with mint and coriander leaves.
10. Add rice and mix with this vegetable masala mixture.
Serve hot with raita and pappad.