It is composed of a small patty of minced or ground meat,(usually mutton or lamb but beef and chicken are other alternatives) with cooked chana dal and spices. The meat is boiled with chana dal with whole spices, ginger, garlic,onion and dipped in egg and the shallow fried.
Shami Kababs can be either made with mutton, chicken or beef. There are two variations in making the kababs. One is to make the kababs with chopped onion, green chilly, coriander leaves and mint leaves stuffing or you can simply add these ingredients to the minced meat mixture , dip in egg and shallow fry. The use of egg is also completely optional.
Minced Chicken - 250 gms
Chana dal - 4 table spoon ( Soaked for 4 hours)
Potato - 1 ( medium)
Whole red chilies - 6
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
Green Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
Cloves - 3
Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
Ginger -1 teaspoon (minced)
Garlic - 4 cloves (minced)
Hung Curd - 2 teaspoon
Onion - 1 ( medium, chopped)
Green Chilies - 2 no:s (chopped)
Coriander leaves - 2 table spoon ( chopped)
Mint leaves - 2 table spoon (chopped)
Salt - to taste
Egg - 1 (lightly beaten)
1. In a pan, put mince meat, chana dal, potato, cumin, fennel seeds, whole coriander, green cardamom, whole red chili,cinnamon, black pepper corns, cloves, hung curd, salt, ginger, and garlic cloves with 2 glasses of water and cook on low to medium heat till the potato, chicken and chana dal are cooked (stir frequently)
and all the water is dried. Absolutely no moisture should be left.
2. Leave the mixture to cool completely.
3. Once cooled, grind the mixture in a food processor.
4. In a bowl add the chopped onion, green chilly, coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
5. Wet your palm and place 1 tablespoon of the ground mixture and shape into a smooth ball.
Indent the center with your thumb and press a little of the stuffing mixture into this. Fold the sides over carefully and reshape into a smooth half flat round shape.
6. Dip these in lightly beaten egg and shallow fry in oil on low heat till crisp golden color on both sides.
1. Instead of stuffing onion, green chilly, coriander leaves and mint leaves, you directly add these to the ground mixture.
2. The mixture can be stored i n freezer in air tight containers.