1. Make the Paneer
2. Make Ragulla out of the home made paneer
3. Make Ras malai
Or it can be even cut down to two simple steps
1. Buy ready made Rasgulla
2. Make Ras Malai out of them
Any method you choose will be perfect, but I prefer the first one as what is more better than a sweet made from scratch.
For making Ras Malai in the traditional method, first you have to make the Paneer, the recipe is already mentioned. Then make Rasgulla with the homemade paneer.
Rasgulla (store bought or Home made) - 12 Rasgulla
Milk - 3 cups
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Saffron - 1 tsp ( soaked in warm milk)
Pistachio - 2-3 tablespoon
Almonds - 2 - 3 table spoon (blanched and thinly sliced)
1. Boil milk till it reduces to half with flame in medium to low. Keep stirring frequently to prevent the milk from getting burnt.
2. Add sugar, Cardamom powder and mix well until the sugar dissolves and switch off the flame.
3. Add almonds, pistachio and saffron and mix well.
4. Then take the rasgulla out of the sugar syrup and squeeze them gently by keeping them between two spoons..
5. Then drop it into the creamy milk. Once cooled, Garnish with pistachios and almond and refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours.
1. If Ras Malai is made from home made Rasgulla, then the sugar syrup of the rasgulla with 2 table spoon of sweetened condensed milk can be used instead of adding extra sugar and reduce the mixture till it becomes half the quantity.