Milk - 500 ml
Eggs - 4
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Sugar for caramelizing - 3 tablespoon
1. Prepare a mould for the custard by greasing very lightly with butter.
2. To prepare caramel, put 3 tblspn sugar on a non stick dish on medium flame.In about a minute or two, the sugar will start to brown., the switch the flame to low. Switch off the fire once it reaches a dark amber color. Pour this mixture into the prepared mould carefully as the caramel will be very hot and swirl the mould as to spread the caramel in the whole mould. leave it to cool. Once the caramel is completely cooled it may have slight cracks this is normal.
3. Mix the eggs and sugar either using a electric hand mixer or blender in medium low speed for about a minute.
4. Now add milk and vanilla essence and again mix in medium low speed for about 2 -3 minutes.
5. Pour this mixture into the prepared mould and place the mould in the pressure cooker - elevate the mould with a pressure cooker ring (or overturned flat-bottomed metal bowl). Pour water very carefully into the pressure cooker till it is about 2" below the rim of the mould.
6. Cook it without putting the weight for about half an hour in medium flame and check for doneness by
inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the pudding is done.
7. When cooked, cool the pudding and then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
8. To serve, place a plate over the mould/ pudding cup/ ramekin cup, hold firmly in place and turn over gently. The pudding will turn over onto the plate, caramel side up! Pour some of the remaining caramel (if any) over the pudding and serve.
1.To make this pudding in oven this pudding in oven, preheat your oven now to 350 F/ 180 C/Gas Mark 4. Place the mould in a large, deep baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan till it is about 1" below the rim of the moulds. Cook for about 45 minutes or till the custard is firm. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the pudding is done.