You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, or lemon juice to 1 cup (240 ml) of milk. Let this mixture stand 5 to 10 minutes before using.
Makes two 9 inch round pans
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Baking powder - 3 teaspoon
Unsweetened Cocoa powder - 2 tablespoons
Sugar - 2 cups
Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
Melted Butter - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 2 no:s
Buttermilk - 1 cup
Pure Vanilla extract - 2 teaspoon
Hot coffee - 1/2 cup (any coffee powder will do)
White distilled vinegar - 1 teaspoon
Red food coloring - 2-3 teaspoon ( depending on the color you want )
For Cream cheese frosting
Softened butter - 1/2 cup
Confectioners sugar - 4 cup
Cream cheese - 1 pack ( 8 ounces)
Pure Vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl, mix baking powder, flour, cocoa powder and salt.
3. In another large bowl, mix sugar, melted butter and vegetable oil.
4. Mix in eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until well combined.
5. Stir in coffee and white vinegar.
6. Combine the dry ingredients with wet ingredients little by little at a time, mixing after each addition.
7. Prepare the two baking pans with parchment paper and pour the batter evenly into each pan.
8. Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
9. Let the cake cool in the cooling rack and later in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
10. Frost the cakes with cream cheese frosting or any frosting of choice when they are completely cooled.
Making Cream cheese frosting
1. Beat the softened butter and cream cheese until softened.
2. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.