Kappa (Tapioca) - 1 kg, measured after cleaning
Coconut - 1 cup ( grated)
Shallots - 4, chopped
Green chilli - 2-3, chopped
Chopped garlic - ½ - 1 tsp
Jeera (cumin) - a pinch
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Salt - to taste
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Shallots - 3, sliced
Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
Curry leaves - few
1. Add water and salt to cleaned tapioca. The water level should be 2-3 inches higher than tapioca. Bring it to a boil and reduce the flame to the lowest. Cook till the tapioca is done. Drain the excess water. Mash the tapioca well.
2. Grind the coconut, shallots, green chilli, garlic, jeera, curry leaves and turmeric powder.
3. Make a well in the centre of the mashed tapioca and add coconut mixture and drizzle the coconut oil.Mix well and cover and cook it for 5 - 7 mins on low flame.
4. Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard. Add sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry till the shallots are slightly golden brown.
5. Add this to the cooked tapioca and mix well.
Serve warm with spicy chutney or fish curry. The kappa vevichathu or Tapioca curry can be stored in fridge for 2 days. It's better to re heat on stove top than microwave.