Mango is the king of fruits and it tastes good in almost anything. This dessrt can be served in any occasion and is best served chilled. Normally I make rasmalai in three steps i.e first make paneer or chenna, then rasgulla and then rasmalai. This is afool proof method and had never failed me. Although the recipes for home made paneer, Rasgulla are here, I am going to put out the whole recipe once again ( for the ease of reading). The recipe for plain ras malai is here
Serves - 3 - 4
For the Ras Malai patties
Whole milk - 5 cups
Lemon juice - 2 table spoon
Maida / All purpose flour - 1/3 teaspoon
Rava / Semolina - 1/3 teaspoon
Finely chopped nuts - 1/2 cup ( optional)
For the sugar syrup
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Rose water - 1 teaspoon
For the Milk mixture
Whole milk - 3 cups
Mango puree ( fresh) - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 2 1/2 table spoon
Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
Sliced almond - 1 table spoon ( for garnishing)
1. Make paneer : Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed over medium-high heat, stirring frequently making sure milk do not burn on the bottom of the pan. As the milk comes to a boil, add the lemon juice slowly and stir the milk gently.
# The curd will start separating, immediately turn off the heat.
# Drain it using a cheesecloth or muslin cloth. To take out the excess water squeeze the cloth. Now paneer is ready.
2. To make the patties : knead the paneer for 3-4 minutes until the paneer is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
# Add rava, all purpose flour and chopped nuts (optional) to the paneer and Knead it by dragging the palm of your hard on the paneer. # Divide the dough into equal parts and roll them into smooth balls or flat disc.
3. Make sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water together till all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is lightly thick.
4. Then add the patties to the sugar syrup and let it boil for 10 - 15 minutes.They will expand to about double in the volume while cooking in the syrup.
5. For the milk mixture : Boil the milk in a pan on medium heat until the milk reduce to about 1 and 1/2 cups. Add the cardamom and mix in.
6. Make sure to frequently stir the milk as the milk burns easily in bottom of the pan. Add the sugar and the Rasmalai patties ( squeezed from the sugar syrup) in milk. Let it cook for few minutes. After few minutes, remove it from the stove and let it cool for some times.
7. Add the Mango puree with the ras malai and mix it. Refrigerate it for few hours.
8. Garnish with sliced almonds. Serve the Ras malai chilled.