Cooking time - 20 minutes
Chick peas/ garbanzo beans/ kabuli channa - 1 cup
Baking soda - 1/4 tea spoon
Tea bag - 1
Onion - 1 ( chopped)
Tomato - 3 ( chopped)
Green chili - 3
Ginger - 1 inch piece ( chopped)
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoons
Dried Pomegranate seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 2 table spoons
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - few ( chopped)
1. Soak the garbanzo beans overnight in water.
2. Wash the garbanzo beans and boil them in the pressure cooker with 1 small glass water, salt and baking soda and the tea bag . Close the lid of the cooker and let it boil for up to 2 whistle. After the whistle lower down the flame and boil for another 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and wait until the steam comes out.
3. Meanwhile make a paste of tomato, green chili and ginger.
4. Heat oil in a pan and temper the cumin seeds in it.
5. Once the cumin seeds turn brown, add the chopped onions and roast till the onion is light pink.
6. Now add the dried pomegranate seeds, coriander powder and red chili powder and roast well.
7. Add the tomato paste and roast the masala till the oil separates.
8. Add approximately one cup of water and let it boil till desired consistency is reached.
9. Now add the boiled garbanzo beans ( discard the tea bag) and mix well and cook for around 2 - 3 minutes.
10. Then add garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves and keep it closed for 2 minutes.
Serve the chole warm with rice, poori or naan
1. The addition of teabags while boiling garbanzo beans gives it a dark brown color.
2. The baking soda help to cook the garbanzo beans faster.