Bittergourd - 2 no;s ( cut into thin slices)
Shallots - 2 cups (sliced)
Grated coconut - 2 cups
Red chili powder - 1 tespoon
Corinader powder -1 teaspoon
Tumeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut oil - 5 -7 tablespoon
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dried red chillies - 3
Curry leaves - a sprig
Tamarind - a lemon sized ball soaked in warm water
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan or a kadai. Add shallots and bitter gourd pieces.
2. Add salt and cook on a low flame, till the shallots and bitter gourd pieces are cooked well in oil.
3. Heat up another pan or kadai and dry roast coconut, till it turns brown.
4. Add chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and roast for a few more seconds.
5. Once cooled, grind it to a fine paste.
6. Add the ground paste into the shallots-bitter gourd pieces and mix well and cook on a low flame.
7. Add the tamarind soaked water and cook for few more minutes
8. Heat oil in another kadai and sputter mustard seeds. Then add the curry leaves and dried red chillies.
9. Pour the seasonings to the curry and mix well.
Serve hot with rice.