Cooking time - 1 hour
For the rice
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Cloves - 3-4
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cardamom - 3 -4
Clarified butter / Ghee - 2 tablespoons
Tomato puree - 2 teaspoons
Saffron - few strands soaked in 3 tablespoons of warm milk
Kewra essence - 1 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
For marinating the chicken
Chicken - 300 grams of bite sized boneless pieces
Garlic - 1 teaspoon ( minced)
Ginger - 1 1/2 teaspoon ( minced)
Lime juice - 1 tablespoon
Red chili powder - 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
For the butter chicken curry
Onion - 1 medium ( thinly sliced)
Garlic - 1 teaspoon ( minced)
Ginger - 1 teaspoon ( minced)
Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Fennel seeds - 1/8 teaspoon
Black pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 heaped teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/8 teaspoon
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato puree - 3 -4 tablespoon
Chick pea flour - teaspoon
Fresh cream - 2 tablespoon
Butter - 1 tablespoon
salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - few ( finely chopped)
Raisins and cashew nuts - few fried in ghee/ clarified butter for garnishing
For cooking rice
1. Soak the basmati rice for approximately 15 minutes and drain and keep it aside.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and sauté the shallot, ginger and garlic for some time.
3. Add the whole spices and fry them
4. Add the tomato puree and roast well till the oil separates.
5. Now add the drained rice and fry for few minutes. The add the required amount of water ( as per instructions) and salt and cook till the rice is 90% done.
6. Spread the kewra essence and the saffron solution immediately and toss well from the bottom with a fork or a spatula till the color is evenly distributed.
For Butter chicken
7. Clean the chicken pieces and marinate with all the ingredients under the margination section and keep for about 30 minutes
8. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken in medium high heat till all the liquid evaporates. Stir occasionally. Then continue to toss the chicken till lightly fried. This will take around 5 - 8 minutes.
9. Add butter and allow to melt through. Use a strainer to remove the chicken and returned the strained oil to the pan add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat.
10. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, ginger and garlic and allow to sweat.
11. Add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds and sauté
12. Add the black pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder and roast well.
13. Add the tomato puree and roast till the oil separates.
14. Add the fried chicken and toss in the masala for a minute.
15. Add about 1 cup of water and salt.
16. Mix the chick pea flour with 2 tablespoons of water without any lumps and add this to the gravy and big it to boil. The chick pea flour mixture will allow the gravy to thicken.
17. Now add fresh cream and stir briskly to avoid curdling.
18. Sprinkle the cumin powder, garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
19. In a thick bottomed pan, layer the rice and the butter chicken alternatively. Sprinkle the fried raisins and cashews on top and close with a well fitting lid,. Keep it for dum for about 5 minutes or till the steam tries to escape.
Serve warm with raita and pappad.