Chicken pieces - 1 kg ( washed and cut to pieces)
Onion - 2 medium ( thinly sliced and fried till golden)
Ginger - 1 1/2 inch piece ( minced)
Garlic - 4 -6 cloves ( minced)
Cashewnuts - 1 cup
Yoghurt - 1 cup
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
Saffron - few strands
Salt - to taste
For the curry
Black Cumin seed - 1 teaspoon
Cardamom - 5 ( crushed)
Cinnamon - 1inch piece
Bay leaf - 1 -2
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 4 tablespoons
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Place all marinade ingredients in a blender and blend to a paste. Adjust seasoning. It should be slightly over spiced and salted at this stage.
2. Add to the marinade to the chicken p[eices and mix well to coat evenly. Leave overnight or at least for a few hours in an airtight container in the fridge .
3 .Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add cardamoms, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves, fry for 10-15 seconds.
4 .Now add marinated chicken with all the marinade. Stir and turn chicken over well in the oil.
5. Bring to a brisk boil. Turn heat down and simmer covered, until chicken is tender. This takes roughly about 25 - 35 minutes. You may need to add a little water if the gravy/sauce looks too thick. The gravy should cling to chicken pieces.
6. Turn heat off, add half the chopped coriander leaves and mix.
7. Sprinkle garam masala on top, cover and leave for few minutes.
Serve worm with rice, roti or naan.