Makes - 8 - 10 jamuns
White bread - 4 slices
Milk - 1/3 cup
Oil or ghee - for frying
For the chashni or sugar syrup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Rose water - 1/4 teaspoon
1. Boil sugar and water on low flame. Let the sugar dissolve first. Then keep the flame on medium heat, add cardamom powder and boil the sugar syrup until it is of a 1 thread consistency.
2. Add the rose water to the sugar syrup once it is warm.
For the Bread Jamuns
4. Cut the brown crust of the bread and discard it. Dip both sides of the bread in milk, then squeeze out the excess milk. Repeat for all the bread slices.
5. Take the squeezed out bread from the milk and knead it to a smooth dough.
6. Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
7. Heat oil in a kadai and fry the jamuns on low flame until they turn brown. Keep stirring for even browning.
8. Drop the fried jamuns into the warm sugar syrup.
9. Let the gulab jamuns remain soaked in the sugar syrup for 1-2 hours.
These delicious bread jamuns can be served hot or cold with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.