Bitter gourd is not a popular dish with everyone but certain preparations makes this veggie likable, as is the case with this thoran.
Pavakka / Bitter gourd - 2 no:s
Shallots - 5 - 6 no:s ( or Onion - 1 small)
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Green Chilies - 2 no:s
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut oil - 2 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dried Red chilies - 3 - 4 no:s
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - to taste
1. Chop the bitter gourd finely. Sprinkle salted water over the chopped bitter gourd and mix nicely. let it sit for 15 minutes. This step helps to reduce the bitterness.
3. Mix the chopped bitter gourd with chopped green chilies, chopped shallots, turmeric powder, grated coconut and salt.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
5. Splutter mustard seeds and saute green chilies and curry leaves.
6. Add the bitter gourd mixture and mix well.
7. Cover and cook over low flame till the bitter gourd is cooked. stir occasionally.
Serve warm with rice.