When it comes to seafood, the biggest concern is to clean properly. Then I started searching on how to clean squids. The video shows on how to clean squids and this is one of the decent videos that I got after searching on various platforms. You can also buy the frozen squid rings available in market but fresh ones are just worth the effort.
For my cooking I have taken only the body part and cut into rings and discarded the other parts as I was not sure of cooking them. But later I knew that everything except the pen and beak are edible and would love to experiment the next time I buy them. For this recipe, I have used coconut oil and coconut gratings as I am totally in love with the flavor that coconut can bring in seafood. So without much ado lets get to the recipe.
Serves - 2
Squids - 250 gms
Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
Ginger - 1 inch (minced)
Garlic - 3- 4 cloves (minced)
green chilly - 2 no: (chopped)
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Red chilly powder - 2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder -1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil - 2 table spoon
Curry leaves - a small bunch
Salt - to taste
1. clean the squid and cut into 1/2 inch rings.
2. Marinate the squid rings with half of minced garlic, half of minced ginger, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt for 15 minute.
3. Cook the marinated squid with little water in a covered pan for 5 minutes. This is just because squids take a bit longer to cook than fish.
4. In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and saute the onions.
5. Once the onions are translucent add the chopped green chilies, rest of the minced ginger and garlic and curry leaves and mix well until the raw smell diminishes.
6. Add the grated coconut and mix well.
7. Add cooked squid with water (if left) and cook in low to medium flame till the squids are cooked. This will take about 10 - 12 minutes. Be sure not to overcook these as they may turn rubbery. The texture of the squid should be tender yet still somewhat firm and slightly crisp.
8. Add black pepper powder and salt ( if necessary) and mix well.
Serve warm with rice and dal curry for a simple yet delicious meal